Thursday, September 23, 2010

Everyone's jobs are at risk

A few months back, I distinctly remember being at the gas station talking to the lady next to me, also filling up her car.  She was talking about the latest Twilight movie (I hadn't seen or read any in the series, so she was telling me just how much I was missing out!!), and I noticed she was wearing a shirt that said Blockbuster on it.  I asked her if she worked at Blockbuster, and she said yes.  Then, I asked her if she was worried about her job security there, with all the Redboxes in our town.  BTW, I love Red Box!!  It rocks and is very convenient.
"I work in a corporate Blockbuster.  I will have my job until I retire."  She said this and smugly got into her vehicle and drove off.  She was probably my age, in her thirties, but looked older than me.  I know she thought I was younger, because she called me "hun".

Now, Blockbuster is in trouble.  I can't remember when the last time I was in Blockbuster, and its next door to the grocery store, which I go to every other day.  I don't go to the movies but a few times a year, just because I don't have enough time in the day to do everything I want to do, but if I could, I would seclude myself in a matinée once a week, pending there are good movies out there!!  My point is that this woman probably has all her eggs in one basket.  She is a proud Blockbuster employee (and there is nothing wrong with that) but she had nothing else to talk about to the total stranger---except movies.   I am sure she is a pleasant people person, but right now, I wonder if she is quietly typing out her resume, just in case.

My sister T just got laid off this week.  She was off work for almost a year, went back for a few months, and not laid off yet again.  It happens to the best of us, and it happens to most of us at one time or another during a recession.  If it wasn't for Avon, I would have had a super minimal Christmas back in 2008, when the market tanked horribly and no one was buying homes.  For that, I stand by my Avon business and I am grateful for it.

The start up for Avon is super minimal: $10.  Yep. Ten bucks.   My district manager gave me all the books I would need and even some samples when I signed up, too.  I started attending my manager's monthly meetings to learn all I could.  I left my books everywhere.  I took advantage of the discounts for my first few campaigns to stock up on supplies and gifts for my family, which they loved!!  I also took advantage of the online training Avon provides to gain knowledge about the products---and I learned a lot about perfume and makeup application.
If you are ever curious about what Avon can offer you or would like to become a representative, please contact me first!!  I can sign you up if you are local or have a district manager get you started.  Its easy, and its your own business!!

No comments: