- Do one room or closet at a time.
- Get 3 bins to separate your items: donate, sell, keep. I don't usually have a throw out bin, because if its in bad shape, I usually toss it immediately. The walk to the garbage is a nice break, oddly enough.
- I put all my Sell Items on Ebay for a 7 or 10 day listing. if the items don't sell, I usually then re-evaluate to keep or give the item away.
- Its okay to keep sentimental items. I have a few boxes that are marked with dates or peoples names on them, and this year, I think I am ready to get rid of one or two. Time isn't something you can rush...going or coming.
- Its okay to collect things. I have a shoebox filled with pez dispensers and old candy. Yes, I might be able to throw out the candy this year. I also save records.
- Clothes that are worn out and don't fit: toss!! If its sentimental, put it in a box!!
- Get a tax receipt from the place you donate: Take notes, but you might be able to use the donation as a tax deduction.
- Underwear and Bras get worn out and need to be thrown out. If you have a pair of panties that don't fit, just toss them! If you gain or lose weight and need that size again, guess what? You can buy another pair.
- Makeup doesn't last forever--neither does hair spray. If your makeup is over a year old, you should probably toss it. The most popular colors are usually rarely changed or discontinued. You can check online to see before you toss the old one to make sure.
Sunday, January 30, 2011
One thing that makes me feel better is cleaning. In the middle of winter and sometime during spring, I like to clean out my closets and thin down the "stuff" I have in my possession. I have learned a few tricks that make it easier to organize and clean out your life: